Have you just moved to the Longwood community?

The office of Central Registration is located at Charles E. Walters Elementary School, Primary Building (back building), 15 Everett Drive, Yaphank.  

The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00AM – 3:00PM during the school year.  When school is not in session, and during the last weeks of June, the office is open from 8:00AM – 2:00PM.  

Beginning July 2018, summer hours are 7:00AM – 2:30PM, Monday through Thursday, closed on Friday.

From August 6, 2018 through September 14, 2018 Central Registration hours are extended on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00PM – 7:00PM.

Please plan to arrive at least one (1) hour before closing in order for the district to implement all enrollments.  For further information, please call (631) 345-2162.

For all children entering school, the district requires the following:

  • Proof of residency in the school district. A parent must present one of the following documents to establish proof of residency: a Town of Brookhaven tax bill, a deed, a mortgage statement; if renting, a lease and two utility bills (LIPA and phone/water bill), or the district's Affidavit of Landlord, plus proof of landlord's ownership, i.e., tax bill/deed.
  • An original birth certificate with a raised seal or a passport.
  • Immunization dates from a physician signed or a previous school. (See required student immunizations below).
  • Transfer or discharge notice from former school district. (Except kindergarten).
  • If a student has a disability, an IEP is required.

Foster child only: a guardian or agency must present evidence or have in their possession a court order assignment and/or a Department of Social Services assignment or agency assignment (DDS 2999 form) that they havebeen given authorization to act on behalf of the State of New York.

Once registered, new secondary school students must make an appointment with their guidance counselor to schedule their classes. It is suggested that secondary students bring their report cards or a copy of their transcript with them in order to facilitate the scheduling of appropriate classes.

Required Student Immunizations  

Under New York State's immunization law, students may not attend school unless they provide acceptable written proof (including dates) of immunizations that has been prepared by a physician. Section 2164 of theNew York State Public Health Law requires that all children receive the following:

4 - 5 doses of DTP (number of doses depends upon correct dose intervals)

3 - 5  doses of polio vaccine (number of doses depends upon correct dose intervals)

2 doses of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
3 doses of Hepatitis B
2  doses of  Varicella (chicken pox) or proof of immunity to the disease.
Tdap is mandated for students entering 6th grade


(More specific information regarding the number of immunizations required is available on the NYS website, http:/

If a child is in the process of receiving immunizations, it should be noted that there is a one to two-month waiting period required between one diphtheria shot and the next, and a one to two-month waiting period required between one polio vaccine and the next. There is a one-month waiting period required between the administration of MMR vaccine.  Consequently, if a child is in the process of receiving required immunizations, she/he is to be admitted to school. School nurses will follow up on children who have entered school and are in the process of receiving required immunizations.

Children in the process of receiving all immunizations and have not completed them due to the required waiting time intervals are not to be denied admission to school . Children who do not complete required immunizations within the time period required will not be permitted to continue attending school after the time period has run out.

No child shall be admitted to school without one of the following:

  • Written proof of adequate immunization signed and stamped by the child's health care provider.
  • A certificate from a physician stating that the child has positive serological testing of a disease.
  • A medical exemption signed by the health care provider (this form is available at Central Registration and is required annually.
  • A Religious exemption - a parent/guardian must submit a written and signed statement stating his or her religious objection to immunization. Parents must complete the “Request for Religious Exemption to Immunization Form – Parent/Guardian Statement.” This form is available from Longwood Central Registration (345-2162).
  • A note from the Health Care Provider indicating an appointment for immunizations pending for in-process.

Any uninsured parents interested in free immunizations for their child may get them from the Suffolk County Immunization Action Program,631-854-0222  (you may also visit the website for location and dates at scroll down to Health Center and Treatment – click onto – Immunizations. Just Kids is also offering free physicals for entering Kindergarteners and free immunizations.

For further information, call Central Registration at 345-2162 or your child's building nurse.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.