MENU

Yaphank Episcopal.. Church to Note 100th Anniversary

Footnotes to Long Island History

Yaphank Episcopal Church TO Note 100th Anniversary

by

Thomas R. Bayles


Yaphank Episcopal.. Church to Note 100th Anniversary
BUILT IN 1853 was St. Andrew's Episcopal church in Yaphank, where 100th anniversary ceremony will be held June 21. It was built as memorial to granddaughter by Mr. and Mrs. James H. Weeks.

       YAPHANK- One of the most attractive of the smaller churches on Long Island, St. Andrews Episcopal will celebrate its 100th anniversary here at special services June 21.      

       The church was built in 1853 through the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. James H. Weeks as a memorial to beloved granddaughter who died in 1850 and was buried on St. Andrews day, November 30, and so the church bears the name of that saint.

      Of Gothic architecture, the church is surrounded by a square tower. The porch at the entrance, with its round columns is in harmony with the rest of the building,

      The first rite of Confirmation was performed on July 5, 1855, by Bishop Potter to J. H. Weeks, W. J. Weeks, and Mary C. Weeks, and on September 3. 1857, the Rev. Walter Stirling performed the first marriage ceremony uniting Charlotte Howell and Frank Ward.

      In 1872 a debt of $500, still due on the building was liquidated through generosity of Charles Jeffery Smith of Mastic, in memory of his wife Mrs. Letitia Suydam Smith. Shortly afterwards, Mr. and Mrs. Weeks conveyed the building an lot surrounding it to the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island. On July 14, 1873 the church was formally consecrated at a service conducted by the Rev. A. N. Littlejohn, the first bishop of the Diocese of Long Island assisted by five clergy of the Island.

       In 1904 the fiftieth anniversary of the church was formally observed by holding there the annual meeting of the archdeaconry of Suffolk county.

      The great hurricane of 1938 toppled many trees in the church yard, and although several fell and damaged the roof no damage was done to the stained glass windows nor to the cross and candlesticks on the altar.

       Throughout the 100 years  of its existence the doors of St. Andrews have never been closed, and services have regularly been held. Seminary students, lay readers, and the Brothers of St. Joseph have held services when no ordained priest was available. W. J. Weeks of Yaphank was appointed a lay reader in 1861 and performed this office for 10 years. Sometimes with the assistance of visiting clergyman.

      At present the Rev. Willard I. Kile who also conducts services at Center Moriches and Mastic, is in charge. Church services are at 9 a.m. Sundays with the Sunday school at 10.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.