Page 1



Trench and Camp
Camp Upton
Long Island, NY


Belgian Refugee Weds 1st Division Doughboy


A war romance began when a First Division doughboy saw a pretty little Belgian refugee pushing a wheelbarrow in a French munitions factory, culminated in a picturesque military wedding at the Sixth Street Y.W.C.A. Hostess House recently. Pvt. Vivian HN. Scott, of Los Angeles, was the bridegroom, Mile. Germain Marie Vantomme, the bride.

A colonel and any number of officers, aided by Mrs. H.V.K. Gilimore, director of the Y.W.C.A. helped the young people over many obstacles that stood in the way of their immediate marriage.

Mile. Vantomme did not arrive in camp from New York until nearly noon of the day of the wedding and then there was no license. Col. Chauncey B. Humphreys, the new commanding officer of the Motor Transport Corps, was appealed to, and he immediately assigned an official car to take the girl and Pvt. Scott to Riverhead, where the license was issued.

As soon as they returned Mrs. Gilimore had the huge open fireplace of the Hostess House turned into a bower of ferns and daises for the ceremony, which was performed by Capt. Richard 0. McCrea. Mrs. Henry Ringold, a cousin of Scott, was the matron of honor, and Capt. Walter Krandall the best man.

The entire Y.W.C.A. staff, Mr. and Mrs. Eric Dudley, Camp Song Leaders; Mr. and Mrs. B.M. Morgan of the Y.W.C.A., and a number of officers and welfare workers witnessed the wedding.

Scott meet the girl in the early days of the A.E.F., when she was working in overalls to support her farther, mother and two small brothers. Among the five languages she spoke was English, so their acquaintance developed rapidly and Scott learned the whole story of how the family had lost its home and fortune through the Hun invasion. When it came time for Scott to return to America, he sent his fiancé on a passenger ship a week before his transport sailed and she remained in New York with Mrs. Ringold.

Scott, when he was discharged the following day, took his bride to California. He was in his junior year at California College before the war broke out.


Trench And Camp Makes its Last Appearance 

This is the final and farewell number of the Camp Upton edition of Trench and Camp. Founded in the fall of 1917, Trench and Camp has appeared every week without interruption for twenty-three months. It has outlived every other edition of Trench and Camp and, with few exceptions, every other soldiers’ paper.With the completion of the demobilization period, the work of Trench and Camp is over. The publication therefore will be discontinued.


4 Men In Headquarters Stables Sailed With Pershing

 Upton has an Association of Veterans of the Great War. At any rate, it might just as well be called that, although its real name is simply the Headquarters Stables.

Four of the men sailed with General Pershing on May 28, 1917, and were on the other side for two years, fighting on about every front the Americans held. Of the remainder of the stable force, only a few men didn’t get a chance to go over.

Stable Sergeant Charles Sedlack is one of the veterans. He has been in the Army for seven and a half years and was one of the thirty men in the Second Cavalry assigned to go across with General Pershing when the A.E.F. was simply a paper organization and the greater proportion of the men who were to comprise it were still in civilian clothes.

Sedlack served as First Sergeant of the Headquarters Troop of the First Army. He saw action at Chateau Thiery, at St. Mihiel and in the Meuse Argonne offensive.

Three other members of the Headquarters Stables were also Second Cavalry men and were with Sedlack on the ship that took Pershing over. They are Sgt. Steve Papp, Corpl. John J. Shaughnessy and Horseshoer Edgar R. Abels.

Other veterans in the outfit are Sgt. Cecil Couk and Sgt. Jerry Graham, formerly of the 35th division, who were in St. Mihiel and Meuse Argonne offensives; Wag. Fred Bruley and Wag. Edgar Rockerfeller, of the 42nd division; Pvt. Roy Gifford and Pvt. William Fowler, of the 35th division; Pvt. William Jones, of Evacuation Hospital No. 5,and Pvt. Errol Barnaby, who served with both the 3rd and the 89th divisions. These soldiers, in addition to Corpi. John Q. Stanfield, General Nicholson’s mounted orderly; Saddler John Belakowski, who was a 42nd division man, and Pvts. Henry Martain and William Brownell, make up the stable force.

There are now thirty-six cavalry horses in two stables, which are models of their kind, with box stalls throughout. At the last inspection the stables were rated the best in the camp.

General Nicholson had two horses there, “Topsy” and “Red.” The latter is named for his brilliantly colored coat and is one of the finest animals in the stables. He is a real “high school” horse, learned in all the lore of both cavalry and civilian riding masters.

Colonel Barnard, the Camp Executive Officer had two horses, “Kentucky Babe” and “Blister,” at the stables but they are now in a stable nearer the Colonel’s quarters.

“Charlie,” who is one the best horses in the stables, is perhaps the most popular of them all. He is the mount of Lieutenant Davis, General Nicholson’s aide.

Major John H. Burns, the Assistant Executive Officer, has a horse named “Sandy” for his personal use. Other officers also keep horses at the stables.

The worst animal of the lot, or at least one who has the most “casualties” to his credit, or rather, discredit, is “Buster.” He has been taken in hand now by Capt. Campbell and seems to behaving himself.

The two principal topics of interest in the stables are the intelligence of “Red” and the size of the watch for which Belkowski claims he killed four Germans. There is no doubt about the cleverness of “Red,” but Belakowski’s tale might need some verification, in view of the fact that the 12th Division, of which he was a member, was engaged mainly in the Battle of Camp Devens.


Sketch Of Barracks Ends Series Of Camp Drawings


The plain, homely, unpainted barracks of Upton have been the temporary “home” of many thousand soldiers.

No one ever says a good word for the barracks. They weren’t built for elegance, beauty or even comfort; they were made for utility-to house the greatest number of men in the most sanitary fashion with the least expense and in the shortest time. But, after all, many a soldier will look back upon the time he spent with his buddies in the bare barracks of Upton as having been rather happy days.

The barracks are so characteristic of the camp that they have been made the subject of the concluding sketch in Trench and Camp’s series of Upton views.

These drawings have been a feature of each weeks issue since June 17. they were made by Mrs. Arthur Wakeling, who was a Reconstruction Aide before her marriage to the editor of Trench and Camp.


Upton Bakery Turns Out Bread “De Luxe”

 Almost every visitor who comes to Upton and samples the regular Army menu, remarks on the excellence of the bread.

“It is so much better than what we get in the city,” is the comment each one makes.

The bread is better, too. It is baked from the finest white flour, with no substitutes added, fresh every day in “sheets” of six loaves weighing two pounds each, at the rate of fifty “sheets” to an oven.

The soldiers, who pass the Camp Bakery on Upton Boulevard near Third Avenue, are not apt to realize the scene of activity within that spotlessly clean building.

The bread has its beginning at the big electric mixing machine. The flour is fed in automatically and sifted during the process. It takes 440 pounds of flour to the “run,” with 3 pounds of yeast, two pounds of a preparation to aid the yeast, 4 pounds each of salt and sugar, 26 pounds of lard and 28 gallons of water, all of which is strictly in accordance with the regulations of the Manual for Army Bakers, one of the most scientific cook books that has ever been complied.

The dough is then placed in huge white tubs, like immensely elongated bathtubs to “rise.” Later it is divided up by hand into portions weighing by scale exactly two pounds and three ounces. The baking and subsequent drying for twenty-four hours, during which the bread is kept in the bakery before it is issued, accounts for the reduction in weight of each loaf to two pounds.

The pans, placed in high racks, are wheeled, when necessary, into a moist steam room in order to make a “proof” of the dougl1t. From there the pans go into the three great ovens, each one heated by coal fires at the rear. The bread takes one hour and ten minutes to bake at a temperature of 450 degrees, or at a rate of ten minutes for each inch in height.

For twenty-four hours after baking the bread is regarded as being too “new” for food and therefore it is not issued or sold. When it is between twenty-four and forty-eight hours, it is “just-right.”

Lieut. O.C. Bowes commands the bakery. Among the twenty men are several veteran bakers. One sergeant was head of an A.E.F. bakery at Dijon, which supplied 45,000 pounds or bread a day. The bakery was established in a general baking plant which had formerly been operated by a German firm.

The Camp Bakery ran three eight-hour shifts a day when the camp was full of troops and produced 30,000 pounds.


882 Enroll For Courses In New “Upton College”


The enrollment at the opening of the new Camp Upton Vocational School was 882. This figure was in excess of the expectations of Major John H. Burns, Camp Vocational Officer. It indicated that the school had aroused the interest and enthusiasm of an exceptionally proportion of men stationed permanently here.

An analysis of the registration showed that approximately half of the men enrolled for the course in automobile mechanics. There were 434 applicants for

that subject. The classes in it are to be conducted in an elaborately fitted-up shop occupying what was once the canteen at Second Avenue and Fifteenth Street.

The seven courses which proved to be next in popularity were as follows:

Electrical work, 69 registrants; general clerical work, 51; civil service, 51; Spanish, 49; French, 38; arithmetic, 37; English composition, 30.

There were 25 enrollments for bookkeeping, but only six soldiers chose stenography. Other subjects which proved to be in small demand were moving picture operating, with 2 registrants; boiler making, locomotive firemen and salesmanship, I each; blacksmithing, 4; cabinet making, 7; and carpentry, 8. These classes, however, will grow rapidly, it is expected.

Registration in other courses is as follows: Surveying, 15; mechanical drawing, 22; architectural drawing, 9; printing, 11; spelling, 28; male nursing, 4.

The school has been equipped with a large number of tables and chairs which were provided by the Y.W.C.A., through Mrs. H.V.K. Gilmore the Director. When the five buildings were taken over, it was found that there was going to be an acute shortage of furniture. The Y.W.C.A. came forward with an offer of the tables and chairs from the two Hostess Houses which are closed, and the equipment needed was just what was needed.


New M.T.C. Head

 Col. Chauncey B. Humphreys recently assumed command of the Motor Transport Corps. The Colonel is an officer in the infantry of the Regular Army.


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.