MENU

Ridge School #22


RIDGE SCHOOLHOUSE #22



Ridge School Organized 1813

By
Thomas Bayles
Local Historian
Port Jefferson Times
December 5, 1947

When Brookhaven town was divided into school districts 1n 1813, the Ridge school was organized as district 22, according to town records, "No. 22 is to embrace the inhabitants east of Thomas Aldrich in Middletown (Middle Island) , extending east to the Wading River line. The territory covered by this School district was -covered with thousands of acres of woodland when it was settled some time before 1750, and for a great many years the cutting and shipping of cordwood was an important Industry with the farmers In this locality. Most of it was hauled to the Sound shore where it was loaded on sloops and shipped to New York and also up the river 'to the brick yards at Haverstraw.

The early settlers in what as then an isolated section were mostly of the Randall families, and a few of the men who received their early education in this school and who in later years made their mark in the world included: Capt. Sylvester Randall, who for 33 years conducted a sailing packet line between Fort Jefferson and Bridgeport, before the steamboat line was put into operation. Then there was another Sylvester Randall who made a strike in the gold fields of California during the "forty nine" gold rush.

Josiah B. Randall, who for years was manager of a large general store in Port Jefferson. Joseph Lewis Randall, who was working for the U. S. Christian Mission during the Civil War. and who lost his life at Newbern, N. C. Another was Jason Randall who took a load of supplies up the Yukon during the Klondyke gold rush to the miners who were In danger of starving In the frozen north. Another Prominent man. was Captain Henry M. Randall, who was, a sea captain for many years and afterward became president of the Bank of Port Jefferson. Elbert Smith, who managed a sheep ranch in the Cascade Mountains of California. J. Sturgis Randall, who helped build the city of Norwalk, Conn. Stephen M. Randall, who was a contractor and builder and who helped develop the Greenpoint section of Brooklyn. William G. Miller. who was a bank president and Representative in the State Legislature from Queens-Nassau counties for several years. John 0. Randall, who is called the "Father of Freeport," and was influential in the building and development of Freeport.

The schoolhouse now in use was built in 1872, and was also used for holding religious services in connection with the Presbyterian Church at Middle Island. Services were conducted on Sunday afternoons for many years. The first schoolteacher In the Present schoolhouse was Miss Cynthia Hutchinson, who was Postmistress in Middle Island for several years.

The district Includes "Longwood," with its famous old Manor house built before 1790. The old homestead is still maintained by the present owner, Miss Helen Tangier Smith, a direct descendant of Col. William Smith, who settled in Setauket in 1686. He acquired a vast territory extending along the middle country road eastward from the Connecticut River in Middle Island, to Horn Tavern, and extending south to the ocean. This was known as the, Manor of St. George and was not annexed to Brookhaven town until 1788.

Additional information (August 1999):
The schoolhouse was saved from destruction when the Ridge Civic Association had the building moved to the Longwood Estate. It is in the process of being restored. You can view the old schoolhouse during the Longwood Fair the second weekend every September.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.