OF WAR CAMP
From the pamphlet Camp Upton Convalescent Hospital
The 1234th Prisoner of War detachment in front of
entrance gate to prison camp.
The 1234th SCU
Prisoner of War Camp was activated 21 May 1945 with the
arrival of 500 German prisoners from Fort DuPont,
Delaware. No time was lost in assigning the prisoners of
war to essential post tasks, for nearly one half went out
to work on their second day in camp, and all on the third
day. Additional prisoners were sent in for off post
contract labor on the farms in surrounding neighborhood.
In spite of early difficulties due to lack of detachment
personnel, full use was made of this labor supply, and
later a complete re-education program to combat Nazism
was established; thus, the camp fulfilled its two main
purposes. It continued to do so thru all changes,
transfers, and repatriation. Fair treatment helped to
show the value of democracy to these Germans.
Panoramic view of Prisoner of War Camp
from one of the towers.
List of German Prisoners held at
German Prisoner of War
Photos and Letter
Report from the Swiss
Legation about Camp Upton
Drawings of a POW Tent