MENU

William Still

WILLIAM STILL
Patriot
Coram


William Still
Drawing by Gabriel Hunter.


William Still was born in 1753 and came to Coram sometime before the Revolutionary War.

The family farm was located on the east side of what is now called Route 112, about a half mile north of the Middle Country Road.

On April 23rd news of the Battle at Lexington reached New York. Hostilities between England and her colonies had now commenced.

On May 16, 1775 William Still signed the Association in the Fourth Company Limits, under Captain David Mulford. By signing this document, Still pledged to support the Continental Congress and the Provincial Convention. Captain Mulford was a Muster Master in charge of raising troops to fight in the rebellion.

On June 8, 1775 he again signed the Association in Brookhaven, Fourth Company Limits. This company was incorporated into the First regiment of minutemen in Suffolk County, commanded by Captain Josiah Smith. It was intended that this company would join the Continental Army.

The Battle of Long Island took place on August 27, 1776. Some elements of Josiah Smith's Regiment took part in the battle, but it is not clear if William Still was present.

On August 29, four companies of Brookhaven Militia were ordered to March to Huntington, but only reached as far as the Epenetus Smith tavern in Smithtown. It was decided that the militia force was too small to fight and was disbanded. Some of the men fled to Connecticut while others went home.

Long Island was now under British control, and the Patriots who remained would suffer under their control.

The Still farm would be visited by the Queen's Rangers a number of times. The Hussars, took hay, oats and rye from the Still's leaving an acknowledgement without paying. This was the Price of being a Patriot on Long Island.


The Queen's Rangers Hussars wore a short coat with a double
row of pewter buttons,green breeches, short boots and were
armed with pistols and sabers only.


Copy of the bill, of items taken by the Hussars from William Still. The hay would be destroyed in the raid at Coram. Bill from the Still Collection, provided by, Merv Still and Robert Wolcott.

William Still and his wife Martha would have six sons, Leonard, William, Stephen, Andrew, Jonathan and Jonah. They would also have one or two daughters, name(s) unknown.

William Still died in 1838 and was buried in the "Old Catholic" Cemetery on Old Middle Country Road in Coram. This cemetery is behind where the Friendly's Restaurant is.

Transcription of Bill

Coram 24th July 1780

Received of William Still one
hundred & fifty pounds Hay for the use
of the Queens Rangers Hussars

John McSile Q R
Q R H

Took from William Still July in the year 1780
By Leutennt McNab __ hundred_____ fresh
Hay & gave not pay for it 4=0=0
So taken by a Captn of the Light Infantre command
by genrl askine December 1779 for shock
of oats In the shefe 1=8=0
Taken at the same time Rye & Corn fore bushels 2=0=0
Supplied a party at another time of troops command
by genrl askine ____ me ____ _____ _____ 0=15=0
Commanded by Conl Hewlett to work on a fort (Fort George)
& work six days in Brookhaven 1=16=0
Supplied the Infantre with fore bushels put taters (potatoes) 1=4=0

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.